Sunday 5 June 2016

C3 community parkland and walking track project - Post-flood

For those who read my last Community Gardens post, you may recall me mentioning that the heavens opened. I also mentioned that on Saturday, it was still raining a little too heavily for me to take more pictures of the completed work to show you. May I also mention,  at the time, the garden was not underwater.

How a day can change things.

Hubby and I surveyed the garden before church this morning. I don't quite think we were prepared for what we saw.

The bottom garden beds are completely submerged. Good-bye $150 worth of wood chip. And by the looks of it, it will be a fun game of 'find that plant' when the water subsides.

Hubby realised the bridge probably should be bolted down. Why? It floated away.

This comes at the end of a challenging week. I had my first way too close encounter with a brown snake when I reached for some pot plants on Thursday. I'm not doing anything without a big stick anymore!

I hit what I thought was an odd looking fly, only to reel in pain from hitting what felt like a thumb tack. 

I also had the worst cold I've had for ever. I was Ms. Misery Guts for days.

And now, all that hard work has washed away.

The positives: the plants that were unaffected by the flood water have had one awesome watering. We now know what area is prone to flooding, however rare, and can plant accordingly. And we managed to save our trailer and half of the wood chip. 

Thankfully, the area is sand. It should drain quickly. It was a rare, super heavy downpour that literally flooded so many areas and has left many people stranded. 

We can replant. It may be a tad messy for a bit, but nothing we can't handle.

Take a look below for images of our new water feature. 


Our trailer just managed to stay dry.


What was once a green space is now a swamp.


It's hard to see, but in the distance, the bridge is floating.


It's times like this you look back and go- wow- we put those bricks and trailer in just the right spot.


I'm pretty sure that brown stuff contains a significant amount of wood chip. Going to be fun cleaning that up without collecting noxious Singapore Daisy with it.


The evil, pointy headed fly that I swatted. Actually, it's another one. I have never seen these before, but take it from me-don't swat them with your hand!

I'm very keen to get back into the garden and make it amazing once more. I also have some adorable kids keen to plant veggie seedlings, so until we see dry ground, perhaps some veggie gardening is in order.

I look forward to bringing you the clean-up, replanting updates soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment