Friday 21 April 2017

Kingscliff Community Gardens: Floods! the garden is under water

I'm quite sure there aren't many of you who haven't heard about Cyclone Debbie or the extensive flooding that has hit northern NSW.

Honestly, it has been catastrophic for so many people. My initial response to the cyclone was casual. I've lived here for years, and almost everyone knows that a cyclone up north usually means heavy winds and rain a few days later down our way. A road may flood, it's a bit annoying, but it's no big deal.

Until now.

As I do this community garden post, the problems we face are absolutely trivial in light of what has happened. 

I'm still processing the damage that has occurred, and like most people, am helping in whatever way I can. Between us, hubby and I have donated time and money. Whatever you can give goes a long way- and help is still needed. Some people here have lost everything they owned, save the clothes on their back.

Some have even lost loved ones.

What does shine through though is how absolutely awesome our community is. Everyone wants to help out. It's a time to band together, and we are doing that well.


This is the back of my home. Never before have I seen the water level this high. I am so grateful there is a few metre drop behind our home, so this water didn't make it in.


The water came to the top of the long grass, centimeters away from spilling over into our yards.


This is the pathway and slope of the gardens. The slope is ebbed by floodwater. The path is under there somewhere.


The bridge handrails are just keeping themselves above water.
 

The slope from another angle. I can't see my bottlebrush shrubs at all :(


The bench is half underwater. The garden beds are almost completely submerged.
 

The pathway to the garden, leading to a murky brown lake.
 

Post floods, and the sludgy, smelly aftermath is revealed. The once white bridge needs a clean.


Drying out, but no where near dry yet. The ground is extremely boggy.


There are a few tyres stranded here and there.


Lots of debris, and a few large branches down, but nothing that can't be fixed.


This garden bed fared quite well. A blown away tarp is an easy fix!


The bridge is a little off balance, and this picnic table needs taking to with some hot, soapy water and a broom to brighten it up. 


Another stray tyre. The only issue with this garden is the explosion of weeds. That's a relatively easy fix also.


The chess board is still intact. Credit to hubby's skills! Like everything else, it just needs a good clean.

There is a large tree down near the bike track. I understand I'm shouting into the wind here, but parents, please keep your kids away until it's safe. We've already noticed tyres have been moved. It's an unstable area we aren't venturing near ourselves until the ground is less boggy. 

I'm yet to see what damage has occurred to the hardest hit garden beds. It's not my first natural disaster. I've seen plants regrow after raging bush fires. Nature is inspirational. Not sure what to expect after this however. Some plants look half dead, but I'm giving them a couple of weeks to see if they bounce back. I'm glad I planted drought proof plants. Didn't think to check about the flood proof rating though. 

Until the ground dries out, I am concentrating my efforts on planting the spring bulbs up the top, and weeding the slope and side garden. If any one is reading this and would like to offer some help to weed, you are more than welcome!

There you have it, a big job ahead. Considering what we started with last year, I know we can do this! The garden will flourish and be a blessing for many. Setbacks are just that, they aren't a full stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment