Friday 21 April 2017

Kingscliff Community Gardens : Update-It's Autumn!

A new season has arrived. Sigh. Autumn, you are by far my favourite time of year, and I for one welcome you. Cooler breezes, winds that blow summer away. What's not to like?

Gardening just a whole lot more pleasant. Especially considering summer ended with a lovely amount of rain. My prayers have been answered.

The only challenge to gardening has been this; hubby and I have one car. Between us. As he is in Brisbane several long days for uni, and at the gardens on Fridays, I really have very limited access to the car. Also, I don't garden on his main day as I've got a cute little human to play with. We do a short day together earlier in the week. 

This has slowed progress down. And I do have to remember to water plants under trees that miss light rains. However, as we discussed today, compared to this time last year, the gardens look AMAZING!


I really wish this was a community garden picture. In all fairness, we do have a mini version of a picket fence and some hydrangeas planted. Given time...
Thanks Pinterest, forever inspirational.


I have to admit, I'm extremely comfortable in my pink socks and work boots. 
Country gal at heart.


This eye sore is set to become a gorgeous urban veggie plot. Watch this space.


My cute little garden helper. 


Sometimes a simple phone call is all it takes to get what you need, like this carpet. It makes a cheap weed mat, and thankfully, is in an abundance behind a local carpet store in Tweed. 
And it's free.
Hubby has a great idea, to simply clear, weed mat and mulch over areas to open them up and make the garden look 'loved'.


My bulbs arrived! I ordered two types of jonquils and some freesias. Hopefully, by late winter, heavenly scented blooms will cheer up the gardens.


Shane hard at it, neatly covering the newly cleared area with the carpet hubby and I collected and roughly dumped last week.


Paul doing an awesome job cutting the carpet to fit.


Hubby and my sweet Belle in the distance. This side garden is growing incredibly well. However, the run off is killing the grass. Hopefully, garden edging will be the next step here to prevent some of this overflow.


Thanks to darling Poppa Ian yet again, we have post holes dug to put his picket fence in.
So excited to see this area taking shape.


And here is the man himself- Poppa Ian showing us how advanced years can't kill passion.


Another erosion issue-sand piling up on the chess board. Hubby realised today a retaining wall is needed. 
Sadly, we also discovered local kids have not only smashed some loose bricks, but have been scratching at the chess board, damaging it. 
Among other things.
As frustrating as this is, we know that the majority of people will use this area for the right reasons.


The picket fence looks so good! I can't wait for the plants to mature and fill in the 'gaps', creating a lush, shady oasis.

There you have it, a bit of progress, a new season and some exciting future plans. Rest assured, there will be much more to come, even if at a reduced pace :)

As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment