Monday 28 May 2018

Community Gardens: More amazing progress Friday, 3 November 2017

Welcome back, dear readers.

Yesterday was a hive of activity. We had 3 work for the doler's, 3 over 55's plus hubby and me. And together, we did an amazing job, despite the heat and humidity knocking a few of us around, and a virus slamming me. Darn thing still is :(

We had church painting going on, grass seed being sewn, watering, weeding, transplanting, mulching, mowing, and of course, paving to attend to. 

The warm weather and good rainfall has resulted in a huge amount of growth. As uncomfortable as I find the warmer months, I can't deny how beautiful the garden looks during this time.

As always, take a look at the weekly pictorial update...


The rest of the veggie patch is actually a tangled, running to seed mess with birds and animals enjoying most of the bounty. However, these lovelies are adding a bright patch of cheer.


The abundance of falling leaves needed attending to, so I slowly swept up several piles that I later used for free mulch. My motto for the day was slow and steady wins the race. Proud of what I achieved, even while feeling pretty craptacular.


The newest work for the dole guys, James and Jayden, patiently dug around the pavers to level the ground, ready for the concrete foundation layer.


Jayden also removed some of the wooden frame from the raised garden beds. Once the pathway is complete, a brick edge will replace the wood.


The neat dug out area around the pavers. I might add that hubby, ever the problem solving mastermind, decided to rearrange the pavers later in the day to create less waste and gaps to fill.


I transplanted 2 murraya paniculatas beside the entrance. Now that we have a large monstera in the garden, I was keen to find a new home for these before they got swamped by its large, shady leaves.


The concreted edge, which is a solid foundation for the upcoming brick garden edging. We are building this baby to last!


Hubby screeting away.


Jayden learnt how to mix concrete today :)


This isn't just a random leaf pic- it's to show that the monstera are growing already! It's awesome to see new leaves so soon after transplanting.


In a month or two, this area will be transformed. I am already planning the planting! Can't wait to create a magical space that attracts all ages.


The leaf litter is creating a pretty, natural mulch on the garden. And how good does the area look after some decent rain and a mow.


This has got to be my favourite part of the garden. It's lush, shady and for some reason, I find it quite soothing. If I'm having a bad day, you'll know where to find me :)

Once again, that is your lot for the week. The momentum is picking up, and I can't wait to share next week's installment with you all.

Until then, thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment