Monday 28 May 2018

Community gardens update: two steps forward...Wednesday, 20 September 2017

You know the saying, two steps forward, one step back. This past week feels just that way. 

We are experiencing an extremely dry spring, with hotter than average temps on the way. Look below at the last time I mowed over a month ago. It was quite the dust bowl then.


Sarah insisted she take a photo of my back after mowing. It's fair to say, a drop or two of rain wouldn't go astray.


However, there is always hope. Some plants are doing very well despite the conditions, as this gifted one is doing. Forgotten its name, so if any of you know, pass it on :)


We had some young, mostly enthusiastic workers last Friday. Here, this trio repainted the bridge and picnic tables.


This is Cherri, and she was my enthusiastic gardening helper. Sometimes, age is no barrier, as this 20 year old proved. We chatted and gardened happily for a few hours together. One of my best gardening days yet :)


 This is Steph, not afraid to take on the tough jobs, like grinding. My hubby is a great teacher :)


When I turned up last Saturday to see how the garden fared after a generous, much needed soaking the day before, I found a blue spray paint lid and dread filled me.
It didn't take me long to find the damage.
The freshly painted table had been attacked...


...as had this tree. The angst, and immaturity of  some :(


The freshly painted bridge has another broken paling too.


Several newly dug in tyres were ripped out, so hubby took no time in getting them back in. I think 5 or more had been removed.
Sad, considering the whole bike track was edged with tyres only the day before.

 For all the time, hard work and money that went into the gardens to make it ready, it's a kick in the guts to turn up to vandalism. But, I've said it before and will say it again, we are WAY more stubborn and won't give up easily.
Thank you for making us more determined.

We can't make it rain any time soon. The plants that are surviving are quite drought tolerant. Though, they aren't desert plants and will need some watering, I'm praying they make it through what is predicted to be a scorching upcoming summer.

The veggie garden seems to be thriving. Glad some mulch went down to conserve some moisture. 

We'll just keep taking two steps forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment