Friday 23 June 2017

Kingscliff Community Gardens: Veggie garden post rains

After my post earlier today, I decided I had better check out the veggie garden. I needed to get out anyway- a wet week and being stuck at home with a spewy/pooey toddler meant supplies, especially some cleaning products, were in urgent need of restocking.

For the most part, the garden looked ok, but closer inspection revealed some rain/wind damage.

Take a look at these pics...


My poor mint. It's withstood dry spells & constant kids shortcuts. I'm not sure if this is a bug attack, or if the winds were just too much. In my experience, mint prefers a sheltered position, so while it's out of the sun here, it's still prone to wind.


The zucchini's are all looking a bit powdery and sad. Hope they still produce fruit.


The lettuce looks quite brown on the outer leaves. Wind and unrelenting days of rain haven't helped.


I hope the outer leaves don't mean the insides will rot or are ruined? Time will tell.


The little tomato seedlings are looking a bit lopsided (as are the chili plants)- difficult to see, I know  but otherwise, they are growing well, as are the basil and flowers.

Over all, I'm feeling a little disappointed, but losses are bound to occur in a large garden. If the weather stays favourable, hopefully, plants will bounce back, even the lopsided ones :)


A small bit of joy- my first wild iris!
A year and a half from planting to blooming, and so worth it.

I will keep updates coming. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment