Friday 23 June 2017

Kingscliff Community Gardens: Winter is here!

It's winter time! As you may already know, I am not a summer fan, so when cooler seasons hit, this gal is thrilled :)

Where I live, winter tends to be dry and cool, not freezing, though some chilly nights are not uncommon. I've already noticed dedicated tropical plants, such as frangipani and my bougainvilleas are looking quite sad. However, once spring hits, things heat up all too rapidly, and these guys will be blooming lovely yet again. 

As I'm sure you'd rather see pictures than listen to me ramble, take a look at today's efforts...


Sitting in the car this morning, I felt immense satisfaction in knowing, come next spring, this will be a lush, shady oasis under the trees for people to enjoy.


You may remember that last week, pallets were placed across the creek as a makeshift bridge. Gotta give these kids credit-they are determined!


Not an easy task- well done kids!
Those tyres and pavers are quite heavy.


Instead of my faithful watering can, I borrowed the sprinkler hose from the new turf in the adjoining kids creche area. So much easier!


Thought I'd check out my new compost bays, mainly to see if they were still standing (due to kids not the guys workmanship!).
Relieved to say that they are. I'm on a mission now- save food and dump it here for composting.


Paul and hubby did a stellar job clearing over the bridge in and around the picnic tables and bike track.
Shane did a brilliant job slashing. Now, the area is ready for ride on mowing-yay!


For some reason, my moses plants are rotting on the slope. I'm not sure if it's a by-product of being flooded in, or if it's just too shady and wet for them? 


I have been able to thin out the healthier moses plants and plant them along the raw edge of the garden leading up to the chess board.
Hopefully, this neatens the look, and helps prevent erosion.


Not easy to see, but more moses plants have gone just above the seating, and I've thinned out some agapanthus and transplanted them also. Spring will see these babies thicken.


The steepest slope also has moses plants. It already neatens up the raw edge.


A donated mother's day gift, my potted chrysanthemums add a bit of cheer to the garden :) 


The carpet hill (created by kids) is the start of the bike track. The boys aim to slowly clean the track, then start laying tyres either side.


And tyres a plenty we've got! 


Here, hubby is deciding if you can't beat them...


My dwarf bougainvillea has actually been the best performer of all three, and despite losing leaves, is still blooming.


It's a bit easy to get distressed by weeds that literally seem to appear daily. I will work on a way to mulch a steep slope eventually! I better find out this season though- winter seems to be a great time to weed- those evil jumping ants with ridiculously painful stings are currently dormant.


I must confess, today really took it out of me. I'd blame winter for this virus, but it hit a week ago, when autumn was still here. At one point, I decided lying on the picnic blanket, tree gazing, was the sensible thing to do.


And here is hubby, giving the kids what they want- a truck tyre bridge. Please, please, leave it as it is kids! We have agreed a tip run is in order- if there is less temptation, these things can't be built as easily.


Paul is removing the branches- we don't need these clogging up the creek come next heavy downpour. 
The tyre bridge does look a lot better than the original. Let see what a new week uncovers...



My snow peas are growing daily. Still thrilled that all 31 seedlings germinated. This organic soil is the bomb! It is nutrient dense, and holds water perfectly.
No wonder the veggies are leaping outta the ground.


When I look at the garden and think of how far we have all come, I'm amazed. So many people have put their hard work, time and enthusiasm into this. Looking forward to seeing it come alive again in spring time.
Now's the time to do all the hard work and preparation so that when things heat up, we slow down and just maintain.
It's only taken us a year to work that one out :)

And that is your lot for yet another week. As always, thanks for sharing the journey with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment