Thursday 24 November 2016

C3 community parkland and walking track weeks 41, 42.

The pace is picking up people!

Summer is just around the corner, and we want this garden finished and open asap.

Plants are leaping out of the ground thanks to warm weather, plenty of rain (at long last) and some fertiliser.

Some major construction is happening, making the garden transform weekly. So exciting!!!

Let's look at last week...


Another large amount of garden edging done. Thanks Paul!


The slope is slowly being transformed. I really hated where the mother-in-laws tongues were, so decided they needed to be moved and got the great idea to fill in the slope with block planting.
Clever me :)

But first, Shane helped by adding a few barrow loads of sand.


 These things apparently like dry feet, so the sandy soil should be great for them. Though, from what I've witnessed, they grow everywhere- from the sludgy creek they were originally dumped into, to the neglected pathway before the bridge.


This sad example was a pot-bound Lilly Pilly I found at Big W. I planted two of these on the slope, above what will be the pergola/seating area. If they grow, they will make excellent screen shrubs.


Some sunflower seeds are starting to grow. Can't wait to see these giants in bloom.


Another view of the mother-in-laws tongues. I like the blocks of agapanthus, then a line of moses plants, another block of liriope, more moses plants, then these. 


A newly repaired statue. I am planning to plant a shrub cove around this soon to add effect. Just need to find suitable plants.


The first stage of a concrete slab base is down! Then, the rain followed. We got it covered but not before the rain left spots everywhere. Lucky it is going to be hidden soon.
Did I say that concreting is hard work!!


If you look closely, I've planted several mother-in-laws tongue cuttings in the geranium planters. Hopefully, they will take root and let me landscape with more free plants.


Pavers painted ready for our chess board! Watch this space :)
And please don't throw or break anymore people!


The start of many, many white palings for our cute picket fence...


And some more.
So far, around 150 have been painted, with more being done by the amazing Poppa Ian Wilkins :)


Now, to this week. 
I wasn't happy with the cottage garden looking lost in the bottom garden. My mission today was to put them somewhere more suitable. So, armed with a fork and poo, I turned over the front garden bed after some weeding, added poo, then transported load after load of plants. I also soaked a peat brick to help keep the moisture in when transplanting.

I have mentioned in the past that I get dizzy.
Well, today, as I was digging, I toppled over the stone edge. Just like that.
Did it hurt?
Yes. Yes it did.
And still does.
Gardening battle scars :)


After a good watering in, I'm pretty happy with the results. If I keep the water up, this garden should flourish in no time.
It was worth the pain and bruised/scratched leg.


This is one of many flowering agapanthus! Yay :)


Shane did a brilliant job cutting posts and digging post holes. Legend!


Paul and hubby adding to the concrete base. Now, it's nearly laying pavers time!!!


The cottage garden has been replaced with 6 Captain Cook bottlebrush shrubs. They don't grow too high, and can be pruned into shape.
I'm happy with the garden bed swap.


Here, the posts holes have been filled, and hubby has started doing overtime by building the hand rail.


And it's done! 
This transforms the garden completely. I can easily imagine this painted, a picket fence along the bottom, and a flourishing garden.

Big steps forward :)

Last week, during a late afternoon watering trip, I noticed 2 beautiful girls arrive and get their formal photo's taken by their proud families...in our gardens! This blessed me so, so much. I hope this sort of thing continues. Makes me smile to see people already enjoying a non-finished garden.

And that is your lot for now. Stay tuned.Exciting happenings ahead.

Until then, thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment